Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Good News

I read this tonight and it stuck out to me...

"Imagine an average street in an average city in an average country, if there is such a place. Lets imagine Person X lives in a house on this street. Next door is a Hindu, and on the other side is a Muslim. Across the street is an atheist, next door to them is an agnostic...

Imagine Person X becomes a Christian. Maybe she read something or had friends who inspired her to learn more, or maybe she had an addiction and through a recovery movement she surrendered her life to God. However it came to be, she became a follower of Jesus. Let's say she starts living out Jesus' teachings, actually taking him seriously that she can become a compelling force for good in the world. She is becoming more generous, more compassionate, more forgiving, more loving. Is she becoming a better or worse neighbor? If we are her neighbors, we're thrilled about her new faith. We find ourselves more and more grateful for a neighbor like this. We wish more people would be like this."

Its about life change...

Not about religion...

Its about freedom...

Not about bondage...

Its about revolution...

Not about tradition...

Community

EDIT: The quote is from Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell, Page 166

4 comments:

The Merry Rose said...

that is exactly what we need to do - i think that i just got a challenge! um, thx - i think. have now linked to you. cheers rose

Kim said...

Hey Curtis,

I followed Rose's link to your site. I like that thought. I would hope that we're happy for the neighbour's new faith because it sparks some changes that are good for community not just that person. And I would hope that the story and my response would be same if my neighbour was interested in a differenat faith and not just Christianity.

Anonymous said...

hmm yes ok depends whos eyes you were looking at this situation thru.. if it were the agnostic and muslim and youre bothering them then they probably wouldnt be to happy..

Remember when we had Mormons Next door and Jahova Witnesses kept visiting...

Hardest thing for me was that it was there agenda to get us to their church.. i was genuinly interested in what they believed.. only cos i wanted to know- they both misinterpreted the intrest for the other kind of intrest like i wanted to convert or somthing... no way.. they kept comming round and kept comming.. and kept comming... i was just being friendly, and was interested in having a conversation to see what they believe..

Anonymous said...

OK, I have read your entire blog just now.
I like your ideas, even though I'm not a christian I can see the good in them, however, after reading certain posts I've become opinionated about something....

OK first of all your my friend, and I'm only taking the time to comment because I care. This goes back to the post about being lonely. From what I gather from my research, church is about community (among other things) Now as someone who is as dedicated to his church as you are I am really sad to hear that things are getting lonely for you, I would be asking myself questions, "Is this the right church for me?", "Are other members feeling the same way?", to me church shouldnt be just about God, but about growing relationships with people who share your faith (inside and out of church), and if people only feel obligated to do that at church they are missing the point. Then again I could be wrong. I'm going to bed now.