Thursday, July 06, 2006

Death


Death - its one of those things that we know will visit everyone we know eventually (including ourselves) but we ignore that it can happen untill one day BANG! you get a phone call, a text, or read in the obituaries in the paper that someome you know has been visited by death. One of my friends Gran passed away a couple of days ago and the thing that is confusing is how do you let the grieving people know you care and are there to support them?

I mean what do you say? I find saying that I would pray for them seems so hollow yet I know that as a person who claims to follow this "essence", this "force" that we call God prayer would seem to be pretty important.

Have you ever wondered how you handle people who have lost someone?

What do you say?

What is appropiate to say/do?

When is it appropiate to go to the funeral?

When do we prioritise work over the funeral?


I have felt particually guilty regarding this last question, this same friend had her father pass away about a month ago and I didn't goto the funeral, I chose a training day at work over it. I know now that this was a bad decision and it showed no respect for her or her family. This afternoon I am planning to goto the Grans funeral, but I am feeling nervious about how appropiate it is. Do I go? I would love to just have someone tell me yes I should go, or no I shouldn't.

Well I have decided that I will go regardless of how appropiate it may or may not be, but I still feel uneasy about it.

No comments: