Friday, July 07, 2006

I went to a service today...


I went to a service today...

There was a couple of hymns...

The bible reading was from Ecclesiastes...

A person got up and spoke...

.

.

.


and then the casket was taken out of the room by the pall-bearers...

The service I went to was for the friends Gran that I reference in my previous post, the scary thing about this is that this sounds very similar to a lot of church services that are held every Sunday.

I wonder if for average Joe New Zealander the only experience they have of Hymns, Bible readings and Speakers is at funerals. I don't know about you but my experience is that a funeral is a sad occasion that I try to avoid and I never look forward to.

Is that the image that people have of Church? We invite people to church and we do the same things that are done at a funeral?

Funny ay?

I acknowledge that part of what Jesus went through was death, but there was also a weird thing that happened after three days... Something about him raising from the dead and him hanging out with his followers (called apostles) when they were having a meal, for the apsotles it must have changed from a funeral to a party!

Just gets ya thinking about how we 'do' church...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man always tricky i know.. kinda hard thing Funerals.. when some one has died i love i think ive appretiated people saying.. thinking of you.. or my thoughts and prayers are with you at this time

things iv disliked... Im sorry such and such died - that really wrinkles my blanket...

i mean its nice they are simpathising.. normally when some one says sorry its for a forgivness thing.. sorry in this case just seams empty.. the persons gone. sorry cant bring them back...
mind you i have once or twice said sorry and now i see it sounds a wee bit silly..

yeah kinda scary this mite b the only time people go to church and it can be doomy and gloomy time..
some times it mite be happy and up beat.. some of that is down to the planning of the service i guess... and the person whos died....