Friday, May 26, 2006

Christ is Safe?

Christs work makes us safe, Gods word makes us sure

I saw this statement on a chalkboard outside the local Christian Bookshop, it got me thinking about the cheesy statements we come up with that are absolute rubbish.

My experience of Christianity has shown me that the only time I feel safe is when I am not seeking God. I feel the most insecure, freaked out and scared when im pushing my limits in my faith.

A story that comes to mind is about a few guys they were out in their boat, the weather was turning to custard it was getting worse and worse. Then they see a guy walking towards them, this guy was the same guy that they had been hanging out with for a while, this guy always seemed to do some weird things that they didn't understand. Now this same guy who went by the name Jesus was out on the water walking towards them. They were all freaked! Jesus called out to them and said "Hey relax, its me!" One of the more impulsive guys in the boat called Peter called out to Jesus, if its really you let me come to you! Jesus said "Come on, I'm waiting"

oh crud, I've gotta do something now

Now Peter must have been freaking, I guess he would have just realised that oh crud, I've gotta do something now. I bet that the statement 'Christs work makes us safe' wasn't much consolation at that time. Yet even though he was freaked out, insecure, neurotic and emotional (FINE for short) He knows that God is calling him so he steps out of the boat.

I would bet everything I own that he never felt safe though...

No comments: