Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Singleness and Faith

I got invited to another friends wedding this week.
He rung me up to let me know I was invited, we got talking about work and life in general and then he asked a question that I knew was coming, a question that I have been asked many times over the last few years, he asked me 'So have you got a girlfriend yet?'
I gave a brush-off answer 'that girls are not worth the hassle'...I knew this was a lie but it was a way of pushing aside a topic that I have never found easy.

The topic of singleness is a struggle for a lot of Christians. I googled 'Christian Singles' and I got 12 million hits! There are an amazing amount of books out there called 'God will give you a wife/husband in 12 easy steps!' I have read a couple of books on Christian dating (or courting or whatever different term you want to use) and some have been helpful and others I haven't bothered finishing.

Do you have a list?

Its funny, I met with a female friend for coffee this week and I asked her if she had a "List" of what she was looking for in a guy. She did. It was a decent list that had been thought out.

It got me thinking about what I look for in a potential partner.

Looking at my history it seems to be if she is interested in me is about the only thing on the list.

But then I got thinking about what I really look for. I look for
someone who is...
  • Outgoing
  • Funny
  • Passionate about God
  • Someone I can be myself around

A friend at my church who is happily married once told me that he had 20'ish things from the bible that he used to measure up a potential partener/spouse. I might have to see what these were.

Ill post anything I find out here :-)

No comments: